Knowledge is power! However, the same knowledge can make you powerless if it is not managed well.
Most of the time, important company information is lying untapped across emails, Word docs, and Google Drive. This scattered data only grows with time as your company expands. Without a dedicated system to manage knowledge, you will miss out on many opportunities to improve workplace efficiency, boost customer support, and grow your business.
Thankfully, deploying the best knowledge management software helps you overcome this challenge so you can unlock the true potential of your business knowledge. It supports 24×7 information access, on-the-go learning, and team collaboration.
If you are looking for a similar tool, you’ve landed at the right place.
In this blog, we will explore the benefits of knowledge management software and why more and more businesses are investing in it. Later, we will look at the top 15 tools to support your knowledge management initiatives.
What Is Knowledge Management Software?
Knowledge management software is a tool that pools all your company knowledge on a centralized platform to make it easy to access and search. This collective resource of useful business information can be easily shared internally with employees or externally with customers. Right from writing and editing to managing and publishing, the right knowledge management software assists you across all stages of content development.
Benefits of Knowledge Management Software
Whether your aim is to boost customer support or improve internal knowledge management, the right software can significantly push up your efforts.
Let’s look at the key advantages you can glean by deploying the best knowledge management software.
1. Improve Employee Productivity
The struggle to search for information scattered across files and folders is real. When employees spend unnecessary time doing trivial tasks of digging through documents, their productivity goes down. Knowledge management software equips employees with instant access to information so they can be laser-focused on the tasks at hand.
2. Aids Employee Onboarding
New hires have a tough time finding their footing in a new environment. Their learning process slows down if they are not provided with constant support. A knowledge management system gives new hires quick access to all company information, so they can get up to speed faster. It offers a helping hand and empowers them to overcome all initial challenges with ease.
Related Read: Tips for Successful Remote Employee Onboarding
3. Promotes Innovation in the Workplace
One of the major advantages of knowledge management is that it creates a favorable environment for innovation. Employees can bring their unique insights to the table and work together on projects. With instant access to department-specific best practices, employees can be more innovative even with the smallest of tasks.
4. Boosts Your Customer Support
If rising support tickets is a constant concern, a knowledge management tool can be immensely helpful. It helps you build a public help center with how-to articles and video tutorials that customers can use to solve issues on their own. While a knowledge management system ensures 24×7 support, it also reduces the ticket inflow, making the job of your support team a lot easier.
Why Is There an Increasing Preference for Knowledge Management Software?
Gone is the time when knowledge used to sit silently in databases. With the emergence of technology, knowledge is now spread across emails, Google Drive, Slack, and various other platforms.
To ensure that this information is not lost in all the chaos and to and fro, more and more businesses today are looking to deploy knowledge management software.
In addition to this, there are several other reasons knowledge management is at the top of the priority list of companies today. Some of these reasons are:
The market is intensely competitive with companies trying to outdo each other and break their own records. In such a scenario, the one thing that can keep you ahead of the curve is how well you manage and utilize your company’s knowledge assets.
In fact, research reveals that for 72% of organizations creating and preserving knowledge is crucial for their success.
Another important reason organizations are investing in knowledge management software is that they are aware of the tsunami of data being generated every single day. The sad part is a lot of this data – 55%, to be precise goes unused. This is a huge loss for organizations.
Knowledge management offers some ray of hope as it gives you a digital platform for safe storage and retrieval of your business information.
How to Choose the Best Knowledge Management Software?
Now that we are clear about the purpose of knowledge management software let’s go one step further and understand how to choose it right.
There are hundreds and thousands of tools for knowledge management systems on the market. So how do you decide which tool to employ?
That’s a real challenge but worry not, as we’ve got you covered. Let’s learn about some of the key points you should look out for during the selection process:
✅ Ease of Use
While most of the top knowledge management software boast that they are easy to use, only a few fulfill this basic yet important requirement. The software you choose should have an intuitive interface and require no coding skills to set up.
✅ Centralized Platform
Any software you choose should provide teams with a unified space to work together and build high-quality content. This centralized platform is where teams can create structured content, track history, set workflows, and publish it across the web and mobile.
✅ Built-in Reports
Reports give a sneak peek into how well your content is performing and whether it is being utilized the right way. The best knowledge management software comprises built-in reports showcasing your top and poor-performing content, knowledge gaps, and a lot more.
✅ Third-Party Integrations
The number of external integrations a tool offers is a key indicator of how powerful it is. Look out for software that integrates well with leading collaboration, analytics, survey, and customer support tools.
✅ User Management
Another notable knowledge management feature to look out for is user access controls. This feature paves the way for collaborative content creation while ensuring that your data stays in the right hands.
✅ Data Security
While working with sensitive business data, you need a tool with a strong security system. The leading software for knowledge management offer smart security features that allow folder or page-level restrictions to hide or display content. Such tools also support single sign-on and are GDPR compliant.
✅ Budget Pricing
Knowledge management tools come with different price plans depending on the number of users and features offered. Go for a tool with a transparent pricing structure so that you don’t have to bear any surprises at the month’s end.
List of Top 20 Knowledge Management Software for 2022
Best for: Creating internal and external knowledge base, custom workflows, in-depth reporting.
ProProfs Knowledge Base is a versatile knowledge management software that helps you provide instant self-service to your customers and boost internal team collaboration. Using this software, you can build both public and private knowledge bases for your customers and employees. The tool is easy to set up and assists you across all stages of content creation, right from writing to publishing. There is a variety of handcrafted templates, a simple text editor, and powerful customization options that aid the content creation process.
With ProProfs Knowledge Base, you can access insightful reports and leverage third-party integrations to give your audience a memorable experience.
- Write and edit content with an MS Word-like editor.
- Manage user roles and permissions to control access.
- Get useful insights into article performance and author activities.
- Keep your content secure using password and privacy controls.
- Supports over 90 languages to help you cater to a diverse audience.
Pricing: Starts from $2/user/month.
Best for: Category management with simple drag-and-drop UI.
Designed for growing companies, Document360 brings all your company knowledge to a centralized platform for easy dissemination. The tool allows private access through a secured login so that only authorized members can use your document. Along with a user-friendly interface and a robust search system, Document360 also offers content localization and advanced analytics, thus promising a top-notch experience.
- Get multiple versions of articles and closely track all changes.
- Translate your help content into a language of your choice.
- Manage the workflow process by setting due dates and roles.
- Export knowledge base content in PDF format.
- Get a real-time preview of the content as you write in the editor.
Pricing: Starts from $99/project/month.
Best for: Cloud-based knowledge management, AI-powered search, Rich publishing.
Bloomfire is another best knowledge management platform that helps you leverage your biggest strategic asset – knowledge. You can use this tool to build a central, searchable platform where your teams can work together and access information in an instant. With comments, likes, and a personalized feed, Bloomfire keeps users engaged and aids collaboration on projects.
- Find knowledge gaps and track search trends using built-in analytics.
- Tailor the platform to your unique needs with custom branding.
- Publish knowledge as videos, text, charts, audio, or any other format.
- Get instant information through automated tagging and AI-powered search.
- Bulk import/export content and keep your knowledge management system up to date.
Pricing: Contact the company to get a quote.
Best for: Internal company wiki, native Slack integration, AI-powered duplication detection.
Guru works as a company wiki that assists in employee onboarding and internal communication. The tool blends seamlessly with your workflows and offers powerful browser extensions that allow employees to capture information on the go. Guru’s native integration with Slack allows you to capture subject matter expertise and keep teams updated about any changes in your knowledge base.
- Write from scratch or import existing content using a simple editor.
- Capture information across the web and turn it into bite-sized cards.
- Organize information systematically in collections and boards.
- Gain deep insights into how knowledge is being used by your employees.
- Detect duplicate content to prevent redundancies.
Pricing: Starts from $5/user/month.
Best for: Project collaboration, remote-friendly workspace, power-packed integrations.
Confluence is one of the top knowledge management tools that provide a remote-friendly workspace where your teams can get work done together. Using this tool, you can build a single source of truth by harnessing the subject matter expertise of different teams. Confluence also offers an intranet that facilitates seamless communication by allowing teams to share announcements and give feedback.
- Get access to beautifully crafted templates and get started quickly.
- Closely track article history and compare different versions.
- Allow teams to collaborate with each other through in-line comments.
- Alert your teams about task updates through instant notifications.
- Get a personalized feed on your home page and stay updated with all the progress.
Pricing: Starts from $5.50/user/month.
Best for: Mind maps, social knowledge sharing, and cross-device file syncing.
Bitrix24 offers an all-in-one workspace for team collaboration, customer relationship management, and project management. Its knowledge management solution is easy to use and can be accessed across devices, including mobile phones and laptops. You can even customize the knowledge base to your liking and integrate Bitrix24 with your favorite tools. Furthermore, the tool offers a dedicated mobile app to enhance the end-user experience.
- Control user access by setting roles and permissions.
- Customize the templates to blend with your company’s branding.
- Set password controls to allow only authorized users to access your knowledge base.
- Access your knowledge base across devices for on-the-go learning.
- Create standard and nested menus for easy navigation.
Pricing: Starts from $43/ 5 users/month.
Best for: Live chat widget integration, SEO optimization, smart search.
HelpCrunch is one of the leading knowledge management tools suitable for small and large businesses. Its knowledge management solution is primarily designed for customer self-service and reducing the ticket inflow. It comes with a powerful visual editor for effortless content creation. Furthermore, the tool allows you to build search engine-optimized content that can be easily discovered by users.
- Add text, images, videos, and tables using the WYSIWYG editor.
- Get smart suggestions and find what you need in seconds.
- Turn negative reactions into positive customers with insightful reports.
- Optimize your content for search engines by allowing metadata editing.
- Customize your knowledge base with your favorite fonts, colors, and images.
Pricing: Starts from $12/month.
8. Zoho Desk
Best for Built-in ticketing, user forums, communities, and conversational assistant.
Zoho Desk is essentially a help desk solution that also offers self-service capabilities. As a customizable knowledge management system, the tool allows you to tailor every element of your help center to your taste using HTML and CSS. The best part is Zoho Desk supports communities and forums, giving your audience a centralized platform to ask questions and share ideas.
- Control user access to your help center and ensure top-notch security.
- Allow users to submit tickets from within the knowledge management platform.
- Use meta titles and keywords for search engine optimization.
- Monitor users’ search patterns and engagement levels with built-in reports.
- Auto-suggest relevant articles and help agents resolve tickets faster.
Pricing: Starts from $10/agent/month.
Best for: Ease of use, in-depth analytics, in-context self-service.
Zendesk Guide is an easy-to-use knowledge management platform with advanced search functionality and powerful customization. Creating help articles is simple with its WYSIWYG editor that offers various editing and styling options. Multiple users can collaborate and work together on articles to speed up the process and ensure flawless content quality. The tool also allows content localization in over 40 languages to help you serve a diverse audience.
- Tailor the knowledge base with customizable themes.
- Get AI-powered article recommendations right inside support tickets.
- Get suggestions on which content works best for your audience.
- Create and update reusable content across multiple articles.
- Easily import content from different platforms and turn it into useful articles.
Pricing: Starts from $49/agent/month.
Best for: Digital records management, task automation, and document management.
OpenKM is another tool for knowledge management that can efficiently manage your digital records and boost workplace efficiency. It is an open-source solution with enterprise content management features such as setting workflows and automating tasks. Using this tool, you can capture information from all digital sources and facilitate collaboration on different projects. Using API, you can integrate OpenKM with your favorite tools.
- Drag and drop files and documents to your knowledge base.
- Create, assign, and manage tasks using task manager.
- Build workflows for content review, approval, and validation.
- Access and restore previous versions of a document.
- Works with popular browsers like Firefox and Chrome.
Pricing: Connect with the company.
Best for: Help widget, community forums, answer bots.
Freshdesk is a leading customer support tool with powerful knowledge management functionality. If you have a large team, you can use the tool’s approval workflows to build top-quality content that’s free of errors. The tool also offers answer bots to provide users with instant answers right inside the knowledge base. Freshdesk offers code-free customization and supports over 42 languages.
- Turn agent responses into meaningful help center articles.
- Increase knowledge base visibility through search engine optimization.
- Take bulk actions to update all your articles and folders.
- Keep a firm track of article performance based on user feedback.
- Publish content in the form of images, videos, or any other format.
Pricing: Starts from $12/agent/month.
Best for: Internal knowledge management, integrations, content verification.
Fed up with locating company knowledge scattered across documents? Tettra can be the right fit for you. It is one of the best knowledge management solutions that allows easy import of content from platforms like Google Docs and Dropbox. Its native Slack integration removes all the context-switching and provides teams with instant answers to questions right where they are asked.
- Get information verified and approved by subject matter experts.
- Create content quickly with Tettra’s simple editor.
- Get detailed monthly analytics to assess and improve content performance.
- Set up private categories to keep your knowledge base secure.
- Identify unowned and stale content to improve your knowledge management system.
Pricing: Starts from $8.33/user/month.
Best for: Global file management, advanced search, search engine optimization.
KnowledgeOwl is a popular software for knowledge management that requires no complicated procedures to set up. It is a fuss-free tool that helps you create product documentation and internal knowledge bases for both customers and employees. Using this software, you can drag and drop categories, build custom views, and take user feedback through comments.
- Add contact forms and allow users to submit feedback instantly.
- Edit files in your file library and instantly update articles.
- Manage content categories with a customizable table of contents.
- Categorize content using labels to make information gathering easier.
- Create a duplicate of your knowledge base for testing or rebranding.
Pricing: Starts from $79/month.
Best for: Real-time collaboration, unified workspace, work visualization.
Nuclino is a modern yet simple tool that puts all your company docs in a unified space and allows teams to work together on projects. With a markdown editor, you can add text, images, and videos to your articles. The tool allows team collaboration through internal comments and suggestions. What’s really fascinating about Nuclino is that it allows you to visualize work with the help of lists, tables, and graph views.
- Auto-save and sync changes across devices.
- Undo changes and restore previous article versions.
- Write and edit content easily with drag and drop editor.
- Control who can edit and read by setting roles and permissions.
- Export content in PDF and Word formats.
Pricing: Starts from $5/user/month.
Best for: Translation management, customer service management, IT service management
ServiceNow’s knowledge management solution is designed to help you cater to both your customers and employees. It integrates with MS Word to give you a flawless writing experience and also provides useful insights into existing knowledge gaps. The tool comes with an AI-powered search system that provides personalized results, giving users a seamless information-gathering experience.
- Get rich insights into user feedback and gaps to fine-tune your knowledge base.
- Build an online community where customers and employees can stay connected with their peers.
- Assign articles to specific teams to ensure top-notch quality.
- Create reusable content blocks and reduce redundancies.
- Provide an uninterrupted and quick search experience to users.
Pricing: Contact the company for a quote.
Employ the Best Knowledge Management Software to Enhance Collaboration, Innovation, & Growth
Knowledge management is a key competitive differentiator that can keep you ahead of the curve.
With tons of data being generated every single day, you need a dedicated system to manage this information and make it easily accessible. When managed well, knowledge can prove to be a valuable asset that drives innovation, improves efficiency, and helps you build a positive growth graph.
The above-mentioned best knowledge management software is carefully picked and will definitely help you make the most of your business knowledge. Compare their features, and pricing, and opt for a trial version to check how well they perform.
Do you want a free Knowledge Base?
We have the #1 Online Knowledge Base Software for instant self-help